As a Pharmacist in the New Zealand Army, you will be able to take your existing skills to the next level. The comprehensive training you will receive as an officer will allow you to lead teams of people, in all kinds of situations.
- SpecialisationMedical and Health
- Starting Salary$68,405
About the role
As a Pharmacist in the New Zealand Army, you will be able to take your existing skills to the next level. The comprehensive training you will receive as an Officer will allow you to lead teams of people, in all kinds of situations.
You will be taught how to handle weapons, and receive adventure and outdoor training.
Job on base
You will form an integral part of the health team in providing pharmaceutical advice on scales of deployment, appropriateness of selected treatments, medicines information and ensuring legal compliance.
You will have a number of responsibilities including:
- Monitoring the control of all medicines & medical consumables (Class Eight Stores)
- Ensuring accurate, safe and effective dispensing of medicines with the NZ Army
- Review operational scales of deployment
- Guiding health personnel in the selection, dose and treatment duration of medicines supplied
- Providing on the job and formal training for medical and logistical personnel
- Improving patient compliance and therapeutic outcomes of medicines treatment
Job on deployment
Pharmacists have the opportunity to deploy overseas and in the past have done so in order to undertake pharmaceutical audits and ensure legal compliance.
One of the biggest things I’ve enjoyed so far is the physical training. I knock off work three times a week at three o’clock to do physical training, and I’m still getting paid for it.
Career progression and training
SPECIALIST OFFICER INDUCTION COURSE
Upon successful enlistment into the Army you will be posted to Waiouru Army base. Here you will do a six week specialist officer military training course to teach you the basics of being in the Army. The course is designed to assist you in your integration into the Army and although it is challenging, it’s specifically catered for specialist officers. You will be taught the basics including:
- Weapon handling
- Drill and barrack routine
- Living in the field
- Army Ethos and Values
After initial employment and training the NZ Army will provide funding and study leave for Pharmacists to complete further professional study for a number of different courses including:
- PG Diploma / Masters in Clinical Pharmacy
- PG Diploma in Travel Medicine
- Support may be given for any PG study if it is relevant to your job.
- Attendance at pharmacy conferences is encouraged
Salary and benefits
Careers in the Army are well-rewarded, diverse and exciting. As you become more experienced and move up through the ranks, gaining additional skills and qualifications, your salary will rise accordingly.
Benefits and allowances
There are many additional benefits to being in the Defence Force, that will make your money go further.
For example, on top of your basic salary you can expect ‘Military Factor’. This provides you with significant extra financial rewards because of the commitment you’ve made to serve your country.
Free medical and dental
Access to subsidised equipment on base
Subsidised food on base
Competitive superannuation, up to 4% with KiwiSaver
Sponsored tertiary study programmes at all levels
Fitness and Medical
Period of Service
- You must be at least 17 years of age.
- Meet the citizenship and security requirements to gain SV security clearance for this trade.
- You are required to be a registered pharmacist with a current Annual Practising Certificate issued by the Pharmacy Council of New Zealand.
- Ideally have two years post graduate experience (less time can be considered on a case by case basis).
- You must be medically fit for service.
- Colour perception restrictions may apply.
There are strict citizenship and security requirements to gain the required SV security clearance for this trade.
Find out if you’re eligible here.
There may be a return of service period for this trade.
Please contact our 0800 number or talk to your Candidate Experience Facilitator for more information.
Other jobs you might like
You can also browse jobs by specialisation to narrow down your search, or find your ideal fit with the Passion Finder tool.