As a Pharmacist in the New Zealand Army, you will be able to take your existing skills to the next level. The comprehensive training you will receive as an Officer will allow you to lead teams of people, in all kinds of situations.
You will be taught how to handle weapons, and receive adventure and outdoor training.
You will form an integral part of the health team in providing pharmaceutical advice on scales of deployment, appropriateness of selected treatments, medicines information and ensuring legal compliance.
You will have a number of responsibilities including:
- Monitoring the control of all medicines & medical consumables (Class Eight Stores)
- Ensuring accurate, safe and effective dispensing of medicines with the NZ Army
- Review operational scales of deployment
- Guiding health personnel in the selection, dose and treatment duration of medicines supplied
- Providing on the job and formal training for medical and logistical personnel
- Improving patient compliance and therapeutic outcomes of medicines treatment
Pharmacists have the opportunity to deploy overseas and in the past have done so in order to undertake pharmaceutical audits and ensure legal compliance.
If you have referred to the minimum requirements below but would like more information on this role please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Your initial remuneration will be based on previous experience and skill level. This is negotiated on a case by case basis. As your career continues, remuneration will increase on promotion and seniority.
- You must be at least 17 years of age.
- Meet the citizenship & security requirements to gain SV security clearance for this trade.
- You are required to be a registered pharmacist with a current Annual Practising Certificate issued by the Pharmacy Council of New Zealand.
- Ideally have two years post graduate experience (less time can be considered on a case by case basis).
- You must be medically fit for service.
- Colour perception restrictions may apply.
SPECIALIST OFFICER INDUCTION COURSE
Upon successful enlistment into the Army you will be posted to Waiouru Army base. Here you will do a six week specialist officer military training course to teach you the basics of being in the Army. The course is designed to assist you in your integration into the Army and although it is challenging, it’s specifically catered for specialist officers. You will be taught the basics including:
- Weapon handling
- Drill and barrack routine
- Living in the field
- Army Ethos and Values
After initial employment and training the NZ Army will provide funding and study leave for Pharmacists to complete further professional study for a number of different courses including:
- PG Diploma / Masters in Clinical Pharmacy
- PG Diploma in Travel Medicine
- Support may be given for any PG study if it is relevant to your job.
- Attendance at pharmacy conferences is encouraged
The Pharmacist is primarily based in Linton Military Camp, Palmerston North and works as part of the Headquarters, 2nd Health Support Battalion (NZ).