If you decide to apply for a job with the New Zealand Defence Force, you will need to go through a series of interviews and tests before you reach the end of the process.
Here is a guide to the different stages you will go through. It’s a little more thorough than applying for other jobs. But then a career with us is a lot more rewarding than other jobs - so stick with it.
You will be assigned a Candidate Coordinator who will help you through the process. Your Candidate Coordinator will be your primary contact throughout this process, so make sure to keep their details on hand incase you have any questions.
- Register with our website, and then apply from your secure candidate portal. This will be your primary reference point throughout the process.
- Your application will be reviewed by one of our candidate coordinators to ensure you meet our minimum education and citizenship requirements.
- If you meet all our minimum requirements, you will be asked to return to your candidate portal and complete an initial medical and security/police check screening questions. Your Candidate Coordinator will support you throughout this process. If you are successful at this stage, then you will be invited to an Assessment Day.
- The Assessment Day will comprise of aptitude tests and a fitness test, that will include a Beep Test, Sit-ups and Push-Ups.
- Following the Assessment Day, you will receive feedback on your performance. If you have been unsuccessful for your chosen trade, then you will receive written confirmation of this, and have the opportunity to discuss other trade opportunities with your Candidate Coordinator. If you have been successful, then we will take your application to the next stage and confirm which trade you want to apply for.
- You will then be invited to attend a formal interview for your selected trade, where you will asked a number of set questions by one of our military recruiters.
- An internal selection board will then review your performance at the Assessment Day and Interview and will make a decision.
- At this stage, if you have been selected we will contact you with an offer of service, which will be subject to passing a full medical check.
- Prior to the intake date, you will have a full medical to make sure your are fit for military service.
- Finally, you will provide us with some administrative information (i.e. bank account number, IRD number etc.) and then attend an induction day with one of our recruiters. This induction day will ensure you are fully prepared to commence a careers with the New Zealand Defence Force in your chosen service.